Get rid of fleas! 5 ways to stop the flea cycle in your home or business
Pet owners know when a flea infestation hits as dogs and cats start to show visible signs of irritation. Fleas transfer from pets to owners and often bite humans below the knee, usually on the ankles.
The Damage Fleas Can Cause
Bites are usually seen as areas of red dots and are generally just uncomfortable and itchy. Some people may develop an allergic reaction to flea bites also get infected from the bacteria and viruses, that fleas transmit.
You can still have a flea invasion even if you don't have a pet! Rodents as well as possums are known to settle in attics or ceiling areas and can cause a flea infestation your house.
Surprisingly adult fleas make up just 5 percent of the flea population in the home (Egg, Larvae and Pupae stage amount to 95 percent).
Once adult fleas are discovered, the flea cycle is in full swing and immediate treatment is necessary to eliminate the adult fleas and the life cycle. A Flea can lay over 400 eggs which will hatch in 2-3 weeks!
How to get rid of fleas in your home 5 steps
- Treat your pets with a quality flea treatment, this will stop them being a host for the adult fleas to feed on and grow. It will also stop fleas from being transported around the property.
- Wash bedding, toys and clothing in warm soapy water, this gets them at the egg stage which is vital.
- Vacuum the property before and after treatment to remove eggs lodged in the carpets and rugs.
- Clear infestations instantly using a single application product. Insect Grenade is a complete do-it-yourself protection kit designed for fast and effective relief from insect invasions. Once you set the canister, the entire contents of the can empties, penetrating those hard to reach areas where insects might hide. The Insect Grenade contains an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) to break the breeding cycle of fleas for up to 6 months. The IGR prevents insects in the larval or egg stages from reaching maturity as adults.
Please, watch the video about Insect Grenade usage at home. We recommended letting off 2- 3 cans of Insect Grenade foggers in the morning. Be sure to cover any fish tanks, food and smoke alarms and follow the directions.
- Establish an ongoing protection. Use an insect killer, that eliminates insects: flushes insects out of their hiding places, repels and kills them. The insect killer should provide the 24 hour protection and be safe to use arond people, food and pets. Ecomist developed the original automatic insect control concept that has been proven time and again in the most demanding environments. It eliminates flying and crawling insects in indoor and semi-enclosed outdoor areas. Round-the-clock protection without you needing to do a thing: just set and forget. The Ecomist Natural Insect Killer uses natural pyrethrins derived from the Chrysanthemum Daisy, sourced from Tasmania and East Africa and manufactured in New Zealand. It is safe to use around people, food and pets.
If you are unsure how to treat your flea problem, please contact your local Ecomist Franchisee on 1800 243 500