5 ways to prevent Cockroaches during Winter
Cockroaches are the stuff of most people’s nightmares, mainly because of their creepy crawly and 6 legged nature.
But it's not only about the appearance. The real impact cockroaches can make in your home is much worth. Cockroaches are prime for spreading diseases and have various other health risks, such us Salmonella, dysentery & Gastro-enteritis. You may also see increases in eczema and childhood asthma, these have been linked to cockroach droppings.
Most cockroaches like to be warm and sheltered, so this winter your home can soon start to look like their home too.
Their ability to breed rapidly and their resilience means that a professional service is usually the most reliable form of control. Only expert products and solutions are powerful enough to eliminate all stages of their lifecycle.
To ensure your home isn’t infested, start with these simple tips:
1. Remove all food access
If you can deprive them of food and water, they will soon be un-attracted to your home.
- Do not leave and water out in sinks, pet bowls or buckets
- Do not leave any food sitting out, cover it in fridges and pantries. If it needs to stay out cover it in a tightly sealed container
- Rinse out all recycled items before putting them in the recycling
- Take out and empty all rubbish and compost daily
- Keep shelves in pantries and store cupboards clean and tidy of food and clutter.
2. Clean and clean again
- Wipe down all food preparation surfaces after use
- Clean waste food and liquid spillage with attention to under sinks and appliances, such as microwaves, ovens, stovetops, extractor fans, dishwashers and fridges
- Remove/cover pet food and drink
- Vacuum and/or sweep on a regular basis
3. De clutter
Did you know, cockroaches release a pheromone in their droppings which signal to others they have found a safe place to live.
- Remove excess clutter e.g. stacks of newspapers and magazines
- Removing clutter over all, throughout the home will reduce the amount of areas where the cockroaches can hide.
4. Look out for any cracks and gaps
- Seal off cracks and gaps
- Seal off holes around pipes, lights and wall fixtures.
5. Professional cockroach treatment
Aside from taking all these prevention methods, the best and fastest way to get rid of cockroaches is to use high qualitie insect control products.
Combination of 2 insect control Ecomist products will help you to ger rid of cockroaches.
Spray all the gates insect can use to get into your home: door ways, windows, air ventilation covers etc. with Ecomist Sniper a residual spray for interior use. The dried spray acts as an invisible barrier to crawling insects and lasts for up to 3 months - it kills crawling insects when they come into contact with it. Sniper can also be used to spray directly on to insects for a fast knockdown effect.
Use Ecomist automatic insect control, that eliminates insects. And that means: flushes insects out of their hiding places, repels and kills them. The insect killer should provide the 24 hours protection and be safe to use arond people, food and pets. 24 hour protection without you needing to do a thing: just set and forget. The Ecomist Natural Insect Killer uses natural pyrethrins derived from the Chrysanthemum Daisy, sourced from Tasmania and East Africa and manufactured in New Zealand, so it's safe.